Thursday, June 9, 2011

We Won the Game?

Nyjer Morgan drove in the winning run yesterday in the bottom of the 9th inning and was very surprised to see his Milwaukee Brewers teammates running out from the dugout to celebrate with him.

"I thought it was the bottom of the eighth...It's probably a good thing that I thought it was the bottom of the eighth because I didn't feel as much pressure...I guess it worked out as a good thing for us."

I am actually not that surprised by Morgans lack of attentiveness. In an 162 game season, players are bound to lose concentration often. Seasons are too long. In an 162 games season, players are injured too often and games are too meaningless. My suggestion (which is slightly biased because the Jays play in the loaded AL East with the Yankees, Red Sox and Rays), would be to shorten the seasons and include more teams in the playoffs. Currently only 8 out of the 30 teams in baseball make the playoffs. If there were more teams in the playoffs, there would be greater fan interest, especially in some of the smaller markets.

Here is Morgan's post game interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment